Sunday, May 24, 2009

GWOT and Memorial Day

How best to honor those men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice? As a veteran I have struggled with this ever since I left the military just over two years ago because of a back injury. Many of those with whom I served and befriended are still fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan, and some areas of Africa. Memorial Day is especially hard. This day has been set aside to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. These individuals fought for the people beside them and will never have the opportunity to return home and embrace their loved ones. This realization is particularly difficult for those that are left behind to carry on the fight.

In the ten years I served I had the privilege to serve with some of the most wonderful people I have ever had the opportunity to meet. I want to take this time to ask all of my fellow citizens to take time and remember those who have served and those who continue to serve – if only for a moment.

Meanwhile the War on Terror continues…

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." General George S. Patton, Jr.

No comments: